In 2014 Ii celebrated its 640 historic jubilee year!
Ii is truly an interesting place with its long history. Administrative borough of Ii was formed in 1445. In those days, Ii consisted also regions like Haukipudas, Kiiminki, Yli-Ii, Yli-Kiiminki, Kuivaniemi, Pudasjärvi, Simo, Taivalkoski and Ranua.
Industrial tradition of Ii goes back centuries. Finland's third Glasswork Factory ever, was founded in Ii Olhava in 1782, and Ii Kestilä Sawmill was founded in 1852 in Ii.
Ii Hamina is an old trading and market place
The name Hamina has its roots in the Swedish term hamn which means harbour. Inherent in the name is the fact that Hamina was originally a trading post. The exact point in time of Hamina’s genesis is not known. Literary references on the matter can be found from the end of the 14th century. Trading took place in Hamina probably as early as in the 13th century.
For a very long time, Hamina was merely a trading post. In the Middle-Ages and in the 16th century the Swedes – and occasionally traders from the East – set up their trading granaries at Hamina's upper end. Since the 17th century, trading in Hamina was dominated by the bourgeois from Oulu. At best, they had over 40 granaries in Hamina. At least one of Ii’s churches and the affiliated cemetery were located in the Hamina district in the 16th century.
Today, Hamina is a modern and tranquil residential district and event arena. Houses have been refurbished, and completely new ones have been built in place of those that were demolished. The oldest buildings – or at least the vintage of the timber used to build them – are from the early 19th century. Hamina’s public utilities were renovated during 2009 – 2011.